Re: Token separation - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tim Landscheidt
Subject Re: Token separation
Date
List pgsql-sql
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

>> [ "0x13" is lexed as "0" then "x13" ]

>> Is this behaviour really conforming to the standard?

> Well, it's pretty much the universal behavior of flex-based lexers,
> anyway.  A token ends when the next character can no longer sensibly
> be added to it.

I know, but - off the top of my head - in most other lan-
guages "0abc" will then give a syntax error.

> Possibly the documentation should be tweaked to mention the
> number-followed-by-identifier case.

Especially if you consider such cases:

| tim=# SELECT 1D1; SELECT 1E1; SELECT 1F1;
|  d1
| ----
|   1
| (1 Zeile)

|  ?column?
| ----------
|        10
| (1 Zeile)

|  f1
| ----
|   1
| (1 Zeile)

| tim=#

I don't think it's common to hit this, but the documentation
surely could use a caveat.  I will write something up and
submit it to -docs.

Thanks,
Tim