Re: Recover old version database files. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: Recover old version database files.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Steve Spencer" <stevenspencer@ozemail.com.au> writes:

> Hi,
>     I recently lost the ability to run postgres from a drive due to a kernal
> implosion, as a result I have had to install a new version of postgres on
> another drive. (Which was fine since I was changing servers anyway) I
> recovered the files on this old machine which were in 7.0 format and the
> install on the new machine is 7.1.3, due to the format change I was unable
> to use the old files. After several day and a lot of anguish trying to
> install an older version of postgres I have resorted to asking for help. Is
> there a way to recover the database info via a dump from these files?

You need to install 7.0.3 and dump out the old data, unless you have
an up-to-date dump file (created with pg_dump before the crash).

7.0.3 should compile on your system; if not, post the error messages
you're getting and we can probably help you.  You don't even need to
install it; just get it compiled and point it to your old data files
for long enough to run pg_dump.

-Doug
--
Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees.  --T. J. Jackson, 1863