Re: Redhat 7.3 time manipulation bug - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Manuel Sugawara
Subject Re: Redhat 7.3 time manipulation bug
Date
Re: Redhat 7.3 time manipulation bug  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Trond Eivind Glomsrød <teg@redhat.com> writes:

> Relying on nonstandardized/nondocumented behaviour is a program bug,
> not a glibc bug.

The question is: how this thing didn't show up before? ISTM that
someone is not doing his work correctly.

> PostgreSQL needs fixing.

Arguably, however, right now is *a lot easier* to fix glibc, and it's
really needed for production systems using postgreSQL and working on
RedHat. But redhat users doesn't matter, the most important thing is
*strict* conformace to standars, right?

> Since we ship both, we're looking at it, but glibc is not the
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The sad true is: you only answered when the 'Complain to Red Hat'
statement appeared, not a single word before and not a single word
when the bug report were closed. I'm really disappointed.

The nice thing is: glibc is free software and we don't have to wait or
relay on some of the redhat staff members (thanks god) for this to get
fixed or say: for the standard to get extended again. The patch to
glibc is pretty straightforward and attached.

Regards,
Manuel.

Attachment