Re: Licensing - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: Licensing
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> Several months ago I looked to do exactly what Doug is proposing now.
> There are a few dozen(!) freely available scheme implementations out there
> that claim to be embeddable, but I haven't found a single one that a)
> compiled cleanly, b) was documented, and c) could be used in a way that
> wouldn't require changing the postmaster startup code.  Most scheme
> implementations play weird tricks with the stack for efficiency, but I
> don't want that kind of thing in PostgreSQL.

That's one nice thing about TinyScheme--it's a fairly non-tricky
implementation (as far as stack and pointer hackery).

As for (c), I don't anticipate any need to mess with the startup
code.  An interpreter instance is a self-contained struct that can be
instantiated when a Scheme function is invoked, not before (and
cached of course for later use).

-Doug
--
Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees.  --T. J. Jackson, 1863