Re: 7.2.3: tuple is too big (max 8136) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: 7.2.3: tuple is too big (max 8136)
Date
List pgsql-general
pilsl@goldfisch.at writes:

> On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 08:50:54AM -0500, Doug McNaught wrote:
> >
> > It's possible you are hitting the maximum column limit rather than the
> > tuple size limit.  The FAQ list the max columns in a table as:
> >
> > "250-1600 depending on column types"
> >

> I already created the table with 1600 cols of varchar(30) so this
> should not be the limit. And the errormessage is clearly talking about
> the tuples size. (which should not have such a limit in 7.2.3).

Well, it does say "depending on column type".  Perhaps it is giving a
valid error but the wrong message.  The 8k tuple-size limit is
definitely gone in modern versions of PG (since 7.1 I believe) so I
don't see why that error message should appear.

-Doug