Re: pg_dump 2GB limit? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: pg_dump 2GB limit?
Date
Re: pg_dump 2GB limit?  (Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au>)
List pgsql-hackers
Laurette Cisneros <laurette@nextbus.com> writes:

> The archives search is not working on postgresql.org so I need to ask this
> question...
>
> We are using postgresql 7.2 and when dumping one of our larger databases,
> we get the following error:
>
> File size limit exceeded (core dumped)
>
> We suspect pg_dump.  Is this true?  Why would there be this limit in
> pg_dump?  Is it scheduled to be fixed?

This means one of two things:

1) Your ulimits are set too low, or
2) Your pg_dump wasn't compiled against a C library with large file  support (greater than 2GB).

Is this on Linux?

-Doug
--
Doug McNaught       Wireboard Industries      http://www.wireboard.com/
     Custom software development, systems and network consulting.     Java PostgreSQL Enhydra Python Zope Perl Apache