Re: Re: File system performance and pg_xlog (More info) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: Re: File system performance and pg_xlog (More info)
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> >From a portability standpoint, I think if we go anywhere, it would be to
> write directly into device files representing sections of a disk.

That makes sense to me.  On "traditional" Unices, we could use the raw
character device for a partition (eg /dev/rdsk/* on Solaris), and on
Linux we'd use /dev/raw*, which is a mapping to a specific partition
established before PG startup.

I guess there would need to be a system table that keeps track of
(dev, offset, size) tuples for each WAL file.

-Doug
--
The rain man gave me two cures; he said jump right in,
The first was Texas medicine--the second was just railroad gin,