Re: - what protocol for an Internet postgres connection - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: - what protocol for an Internet postgres connection
Date
List pgsql-general
Fernando Flores Prior <fprior@tlaloc.imta.mx> writes:

> Our  database server is based on a linux box (RH 8) and
> the client side was developed in CBuilder (and Delphi) connecting
> via ODBC.  It works just great in the LAN.
>
> At this time we are commited to deliver a similar application but with
> a different
> setup. The database server must be internet available. The client side will
> be basicly the same app we have now. It is not very data intensive by any
> means, per session it will use about 50Kb of data at most. Concurrent users
> are not expected to be more than five.  Its a very light application but still
> given the special features that it has to encompass is not feasible or
> cost-wise
> to evolve it into a Web application.
>
> The question is:  what connection protocol would be the best suited
> for this task ?

There is just one PostgreSQL wire protocol.  Different libraries such
as ODBC, libpq etc just give you a different API for using it.  There
shouldn't be too much difference in bandwidth usage between the APIs
in the general case.

So your app should work fine, but pay very careful attention to
security anytime you expose the database directly to the 'net at
large.  Use the 'md5' password scheme, and, if you can, restrict the
allowed IPs in pg_hba.conf to valid client addresses.

-Doug