Re: Design Strategy WAS: High-Profile Advocacy Opportunity:VbulletinForum - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: Design Strategy WAS: High-Profile Advocacy Opportunity:VbulletinForum
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Martha Stewart called it a Good Thing when josh@agliodbs.com (Josh Berkus) wrote:
> "Database independence" is a strategy which is suitable for a
> limited class of web applications, and not much else.

Well, SAP has pretty consistently tried to apply this strategy to
their R/3 application, which is _not_ a "limited class of web
applications."

Now, the way they have implemented "database independence" does mean
that they have had to implement all data validation in their
applications, with the result that it takes years for the code to
mature, so it is certainly not immune to criticism ;-).  But it's
getting used by "Fortune 500" types, so it sure seems to be a
counterexample to your claim...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="acm.org" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/lsf.html