Re: Dropping Fields In A Table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: Dropping Fields In A Table
Date
List pgsql-general
"Krog, Kenneth" <KAKrog@MassMutual.com> writes:

> In what version of Postgre are you able to drop fields in a table (7.1?),
> and is this the correct syntax:
> ALTER TABLE tablename DROP COLUMN columnname;
>
> And is their a way to change the type of column that a column is for
> instance from CHAR to INT, and what is the syntax for that.  I looked up one
> side of the documentation and down the other and their does not seem to be a
> way.

I'm pretty sure neither of these is currently implemented.  You need
to backup, drop and recreate the table, or do a ALTER TABLE RENAME/
CREATE TABLE AS/DROP TABLE dance.

-Doug
--
In a world of steel-eyed death, and men who are fighting to be warm,
Come in, she said, I'll give you shelter from the storm.    -Dylan