Re: date formatting and tab-complete patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Manuel Sugawara
Subject Re: date formatting and tab-complete patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Karel Zak <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz> writes:

>  We don't directly call locale stuff in PostgreSQL code. It's
>  encapsulated in PGLC_ (pg_locale.c) API and all is cached, for
>  this we use localeconv(3) that returns all in one struct.
>
>  (What portability of nl_langinfo()? The localeconv() is ANSI C and
>  POSIX functions.)

localenconv is posix and ANSI C but it doesn't provide such
functionality (localized month and day names). nl_langinfo conforms to
"The Single UNIX® Specification, Version 2", according to it's manual
page. The portability isn't an issue as long as you provide means to
test and avoid it's use in systems that doesn't provide it. I know
that, at least, Linux and Solaris does, but FreeBSD does not.

[...]
>  Sorry didn't see your original patch (I overlook and delete it in my
>  IMBOX:-(). But I have a question -- do you solve vice versa
>  conversion from string to timestamp? The basic feature of to_char()
>  is that all outputs must be possible parse by to_timestamp() with
>  same format definition:

No, however the work seems pretty easy.

> test=# select to_char('2001-12-05 00:00:00+01'::timestamp,
>                                     'fmday dd/month/yyyy');
>            to_char
>  wednesday 05/december /2001
> (1 row)

This example shows another issue. With localized month and day names
the hardcoded paddings doesn't make sense any more since you may have
a month name longer than 9 chars -septiembre- as instance.

If people is interested I may spend some time working with this.

Regards,
Manuel.