Re: Sniffer to trace ODBC calls? - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Benjamin Riefenstahl
Subject Re: Sniffer to trace ODBC calls?
Date
List pgsql-odbc
Hi Philippe,

"Philippe Lang" <philippe.lang@attiksystem.ch> writes:

> I'm opening Access forms with a filter, and I'd like to know where
> the filtering is actually taking place: on the server, or on the
> client?

AFAIK ODBC itself doesn't do *anything* except forward your calls to
the ODBC driver and probably some repackaging to support outdated
driver versions with comptibility code.

So where do you think the filtering may take place?  In the database
ODBC driver?  That wouldn't make sense.  If the database vendor can do
the filtering in the driver, it can just as well do it on the server.

In Access?  Than the ODBC trace will tell you.  If Access does the
filtering itself, the SQL queries will have no filtering clauses.  If
Access doesn't do filtering itself but asks the server, the SQL
statements will contain WHERE clauses to do it.

benny