Re: vacuum full 100 mins plus? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: vacuum full 100 mins plus?
Date
List pgsql-performance
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, PHatcher@macys.com (Patrick Hatcher) wrote:
> Answered my own question.  I gave up the vacuum full after 150 mins.  I was
> able to export to a file, vacuum full the empty table, and reimport in less
> than 10 mins.  I suspect the empty item pointers and the sheer number of
> removable rows was causing an issue.

In that case, you'd be a little further better off if the steps were:
 - drop indices;
 - copy table to file (perhaps via pg_dump -t my_table);
 - truncate the table, or drop-and-recreate, both of which make
   it unnecessary to do _any_ vacuum of the result;
 - recreate indices, probably with SORT_MEM set high, to minimize
   paging to disk
 - analyze the table (no need to vacuum if you haven't created any
   dead tuples)
 - cut SORT_MEM back down to "normal" sizes
--
output = reverse("gro.gultn" "@" "enworbbc")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/spreadsheets.html