Re: How do you recover a postgres db? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: How do you recover a postgres db?
Date
List pgsql-general
Mark McWilliams <mark.mcwilliams@mindspring.com> writes:

> The documentation is non-existent. Can someone tell me or point me to
> how to do a recovery? This is the only thing keeping me from using
> PostgreSQL over Oracle.

What do you mean by "recovery"?  I can think of at least three
possibilities:

(1) Restore from backup:  simply feed the output from 'pg_dump' to
    'psql' as the PG superuser.

(2) Point-in-time recovery after a restore: PG doesn't do it yet.

(3) Starting up the database after a system crash: just do it.  PG
    will generally recover up to the last committed transaction.

-Doug
--
Free Dmitry Sklyarov!
http://www.freesklyarov.org/

We will return to our regularly scheduled signature shortly.