Re: PL/java? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: PL/java?
Date
List pgsql-general
"Gowey, Geoffrey" <ggowey@rxhope.com> writes:

> probably a bad idea.  From what I've heard the speed of your java program is
> wholely dependent on the speed of your vm (and most aren't that quick).
> Although it would be nice to have just to say we have it and mysql doesn't
> (then again mysql doesn't have a whole lot of things that pgsql already
> has).

Well, compiled Java code can't be that much slower than PL/pgSQL code
or TCL. both of which work fine for lots of people...

I've though about doing this.  It's definitely doable, but here are
some gotchas:

* The JVM is multithreaded, while backends are single-threaded.  This
  could open up a big can of worms if you're not careful.  On
  platforms with different libc's for threaded/nonthreaded code, you'd
  have to get the linking right.

* In order to be useful, you'd need to write a JNI wrapper for the SPI
  libraries.  Again, threading issues may apply.

It's an interesting project, but not one I've had time to look at yet.

-Doug
--
Free Dmitry Sklyarov!
http://www.freesklyarov.org/

We will return to our regularly scheduled signature shortly.