Re: Query planner isn't using my indices - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: Query planner isn't using my indices
Date
List pgsql-general
Shaun Thomas <sthomas@townnews.com> writes:

> On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Stephan Szabo wrote:
>
> > See past discussions, you'll need to either explicitly cast the
> > constant to bigint or quote it, because otherwise it prematurely
> > casts the constant into an int4.
>
> But isn't that the point?  The fact that it casts it to int4 isn't the
> problem.  The fact that int4 and int8 *should* be compatible fields *is*.

[rant...]

> Can anyone explain this to me?  Anyone at all?  I mean, what logical
> reason is there to leave the database so crippled?

Finite developer resources?  Feel free to pitch in once the 7.3 cycle
starts.

FWIW, the following is on Bruce's TODO list at
http://developer.postgresql.org/todo.php:

  * Allow better handling of numeric constants, type conversion

There is a link there to a discussion about ways to improve the
situation.

-Doug
   --T. J. Jackson, 1863