Re: sql_drop Event Trigger - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: sql_drop Event Trigger
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Here's another idea --- have three columns, "type", "schema" (as in the
> current patch and as shown above), and a third one for object identity.
>
> For tables and other objects that have simple names, the identity would
> be their names.  For columns, it'd be <tablename>.<columnname>.  For
> functions, it'd be the complete signature.  And so on.

Sounds very good as an extra column yes.

> Broadly, I suggest making the output format match as exactly as
> possible what commands like COMMENT and SECURITY LABEL accept as
> input.  We've already confronted all of these notational issues there.
>  Columns are identified as COLUMN table.name; functions as FUNCTION
> function_name(argtypes); etc.  Of course it's fine to split the object
> type off into a separate column, but it should have the same name here
> that it does there.

I would like the format to be easily copy/paste'able to things such as
regclass/regtype/regprocedure casts, and apparently the COMMENT input
format seems to be the same as that one, so +1 from me.

--
Dimitri Fontaine                                        06 63 07 10 78