Re: extension_control_path - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: extension_control_path
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>>    # hstore extension
>>    comment = 'data type for storing sets of (key, value) pairs'
>>    default_version = '1.3'
>>    directory = 'local/hstore-new'
>>    module_pathname = '$directory/hstore'
>>    relocatable = true
>
> Interesting idea.  I'm a *little* concerned that re-useing '$directory'
> there might confuse people into thking that any values in the control
> file could be substituted in a similar way though.  Would there really
> be much difference between that and '$ctldir' or something?

Well, using $directory makes the feature auto-documented and very easy
to read even without the reference documentation handy. It's also a very
known way to setup things in .ini files.

Now, what other parameters would you possibly use that way, other than
$directory? I can see a use for $default_version, but that's about it.

Would you rather add support for $default_version in the patch, for all
of the parameters just in case, for a different set of control
parameters, or rename the $directory macro?
My vote goes for adding $default_version only.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine