Re: BUG #5062: 8.4.1 compile fails on debian can't find libdl - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: BUG #5062: 8.4.1 compile fails on debian can't find libdl
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> "philip wright" <zphw@de1.uga.duke.edu> writes:
>
> Our Debian packager would certainly have complained before now if PG
> didn't build on Debian.  I suspect that you have forgotten to install
> some needed support files.  Does Debian have the equivalent of -devel
> subpackages?  If so you're probably missing whatever -devel package
> goes with libdl.

debian provides friendly package building tools:

  http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/postgresql-8.4

  # install all build dependancies for postgresql-8.4
  apt-get build-dep postgresql-8.4

  # build it with debian defaults etc
  apt-get source -b postgresql-8.4

  # or only get the sources
  apt-get source postgresql-8.4

If you want to tweak the debian options choices, see apt-build.

And if the problem is related to building client or server tools for
postgresql, then you have the -devel kind of packages:

  apt-get install postgresql-server-dev-8.4 libpq-dev

Regards,
--
dim