Re: Base Backup Streaming - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: Base Backup Streaming
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4C80D9B8.2020301@enterprisedb.com
>
> That just needs to be polished into shape, and documentation.

Wow, cool!  I don't know how but I've missed it.

> +1. Or maybe it would be better make it a separate binary, rather than part
> of pg_ctl.

Well the thinking was that nowadays we support initdb from pg_ctl, and
this is another kind of initdb, really.

> I linked above. Running queries requires connecting to a real database,
> which means that the user needs to have privileges to do that and you need
> to know the name of a valid database. Ideally this would all work through a
> replication connection. I think we should go with that from day one.

I didn't think about the "connecting to a real database" part of it,
versus using a dedicated REPLICATION connection/protocol, and to be
honest, I feared it was too much work.  Seeing that you already did it,
though, +1.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine