Re: EASY QUESTION!! - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From David W Noon
Subject Re: EASY QUESTION!!
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Sunday 27 Apr 2003 09:03 in
<1cf4c899.0304270003.244d1ce@posting.google.com>, dvsangel
(dvsangel@dodo.com.au) wrote:

> a column in one of my tables contains dates in the format yyyy-mm-dd
> From these dates I need to find out which dates are sundays.

I assume that the column is a DATE rather than a CHAR(10).

If so, the EXTRACT(DOW FROM ...) function should give you what you want. A
value of 0 means Sunday.

If your column is actually a CHAR(10) then coerce it to being a DATE as you
invoke EXTRACT() as above. YMMV.

For example:

SELECT * FROM some_table  WHERE EXTRACT(DOW FROM date_column) = 0;

or:

SELECT * FROM some_table  WHERE EXTRACT(DOW FROM CAST(char_column AS DATE)) = 0;

See section 4.8.1 in the PostgreSQL User's Guide for more details. [At least
that's where it is in my copy.]

--
Regards,

Dave