Re: JSON for PG 9.2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: JSON for PG 9.2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

> The way forward here is to maintain this as an extension, provide debs
> and rpms, and show that that is maintainable.  I can see numerous
> advantages in maintaining a PL outside the core; especially if you are
> still starting up and want to iterate quickly.

I'd like to add some confusion on the implementation choice, because it
looks damn too easy now… Guile 2.0 offers an implementation of the
ECMAscript language and plscheme already exists as a PostgreSQL PL
extension for integrating with Guile.
 http://plscheme.projects.postgresql.org/
 http://wingolog.org/archives/2009/02/22/ecmascript-for-guile http://packages.debian.org/sid/guile-2.0
 http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/  Guile is an extension language platform
 Guile is an efficient virtual machine that executes a portable instruction set generated by its optimizing compiler,
andintegrates very easily with C and C++ application code. In addition to Scheme, Guile includes compiler front-ends
forECMAScript and Emacs Lisp (support for Lua is underway), which means your application can be extended in the
language(or languages) most appropriate for your user base. And Guile's tools for parsing and compiling are exposed as
partof its standard module set, so support for additional languages can be added without writing a single line of C.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine