Re: Finer Extension dependencies - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: Finer Extension dependencies
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Why do features have OIDs?  Is this for pg_depend entries?  If so, would
> it work to have pg_depend entries point to extensions instead?

Yes, for pg_depend, no I don't know how to make that work with pointing
to the extensions directly, because the whole point here is to be able
to depend on a feature rather than the whole extension.

Use cases:
- depend on a feature f that appeared in version y of the extension  (bugfix, new capability)
- deprecate a feature: alter extension update removes a feature, you  want to know that the dependent extensions need
processing(cascade  to remove them in the operation, or update them before hand, etc)  (still manual operation though)

I don't see how to handle those cases with a direct dependency on the
extension rather than one of its features.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine