Re: WIP json generation enhancements - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: WIP json generation enhancements
Date
Re: WIP json generation enhancements  (Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
Re: WIP json generation enhancements: fk-tree-to-json()  (Hannu Krosing <hannu@krosing.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Here is a WIP patch for enhancements to json generation.
>
> First, there is the much_requested json_agg, which will aggregate rows
> directly to json. So the following will now work:
>
>     select json_agg(my_table) from mytable;
>     select json_agg(q) from (<myquery here>) q;

Awesome, thanks!

How do you handle the nesting of the source elements? I would expect a
variant of the aggregate that takes two input parameters, the datum and
the current nesting level.

Consider a tree table using parent_id and a recursive query to display
the tree. You typically handle the nesting with an accumulator and a
call to repeat() to prepend some spaces before the value columns. What
about passing that nesting level (integer) to the json_agg()?

Here's a worked out example:
   CREATE TABLE parent_child (       parent_id integer NOT NULL,       this_node_id integer NULL   );      INSERT INTO
parent_child(parent_id, this_node_id) VALUES (0, 1);   INSERT INTO parent_child (parent_id, this_node_id) VALUES (1,
2);  INSERT INTO parent_child (parent_id, this_node_id) VALUES (1, 3);   INSERT INTO parent_child (parent_id,
this_node_id)VALUES (1, 4);   INSERT INTO parent_child (parent_id, this_node_id) VALUES (2, 5);   INSERT INTO
parent_child(parent_id, this_node_id) VALUES (2, 6);   INSERT INTO parent_child (parent_id, this_node_id) VALUES (4,
7);  INSERT INTO parent_child (parent_id, this_node_id) VALUES (4, 8);   INSERT INTO parent_child (parent_id,
this_node_id)VALUES (4, 9);   INSERT INTO parent_child (parent_id, this_node_id) VALUES (9, 10);   WITH RECURSIVE
tree(id,level, parents) AS (       SELECT this_node_id as id, 0 as level, '{}'::int[] as parents         FROM
parent_child       WHERE parent_id = 0               UNION ALL              SELECT this_node_id as id, t.level + 1,
t.parents|| c.parent_id         FROM parent_child c         JOIN tree t ON t.id = c.parent_id   )   SELECT json_agg(id,
level)    FROM tree;

I've left the parents column in the query above as a debug facility, but
it's not needed in that case.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine