Re: Review: Extra Daemons / bgworker - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: Review: Extra Daemons / bgworker
Date
Re: Review: Extra Daemons / bgworker  (Markus Wanner <markus@bluegap.ch>)
List pgsql-hackers
Markus Wanner <markus@bluegap.ch> writes:
> AFAICS pgqd currently uses libpq, so I think it would rather turn into
> what I call a background worker, with a connection to Postgres shared
> memory. I perfectly well see use cases (plural!) for those.
>
> What I'm questioning is the use for what I rather call "extra daemons",
> that is, additional processes started by the postmaster without a
> connection to Postgres shared memory (and thus without a database
> connection).

I totally missed the need to connect to shared memory to be able to
connect to a database and query it. Can't we just link the bgworkder
code to the client libpq library, just as plproxy is doing I believe?

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine