Re: Deparsing DDL command strings - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: Deparsing DDL command strings
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
> going to be required below that ... but the point I'm trying to make is
> that it would be a one-and-done task.  Adding a requirement to be able
> to decompile raw parse trees will be a permanent drag on every type of
> SQL feature addition.

I'll show some examples of very involved command (CREATE and ALTER TABLE
are the most complex we have I think) and some very simple commands
(DROP TABLE is one of the simplest), so that we can make up our minds on
that angle.

>> Then we want to qualify object names. Some type names have already been
>> taken care of apparently by the parser here, relation names not yet and
>> we need to cope with non existing relation names.
>
> Which is exactly what you *won't* be able to do anything about when
> looking at a raw parse tree.  It's just a different presentation of the
> query string.

So, I'm currently adding the deparsing to the existing only event we
have, which is ddl_command_start. That's maybe not the best place where
to do it, I even now wonder if we can do it there at all.

Doing the same thing at ddl_command_end would allow us have all the
information we need and leave nothing to magic guesses: full schema
qualification of all objects involved, main object(s) OIDs available,
all the jazz.

> Well, yeah.  Anything else is magic not code.

Well, prepending an object name with the first entry of the current
search_path as its schema is not that far a stretch when the object is
being created, as far as I see it. It's more reasonable to document that
the rewritten no-ambiguities command string is only available for
ddl_command_end events, though.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine