Re: FK's to refer to rows in inheritance child - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: FK's to refer to rows in inheritance child
Date
Re: FK's to refer to rows in inheritance child  (Yeb Havinga <yebhavinga@gmail.com>)
Re: FK's to refer to rows in inheritance child  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
> partitioning.  I have a feeling that the feature will languish on the
> TODO list forever, unless someone comes up with a brilliant idea to
> avoid the problems.  As is, the return on investment to do it just
> isn't there.

That's calling for a try :)

What about a new index type that follows the partitioning scheme in its
root pages in a way that allow the locking to occur in a subpart of it,
rather than for the whole index.

Well, maybe that needs to have an index OID per known partition all
handled into the same physical index for the locking system to work, but
that could mean that indexes would get their objsubid like relations
have their attributes now. It could even be that what we need is a
meta-index and a new kind if index page pointer that would lead to
another physical index.

Oh and that's yet another idea that depends on seeing a partition syntax
supporting current features in core. When will we sketch a plan on that
so that individual hackers interested into a subpart are able to work on
it? I think the last years are telling us that nobody will ever will to
handle it all by himself. Well, or you have to hire Simon :)

Given such an agenda, I'd argue for a feature branch being open for
partitioning so that incremental reviewed work can happen there until we
have enough pieces to consider merging into HEAD.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine