Re: [GENERAL] arrays - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Roland Roberts
Subject Re: [GENERAL] arrays
Date
List pgsql-sql
   Josh> Now, I know at least one person who is using arrays to store   Josh> scientific data.  However, that data
arrivesin his lab in   Josh> the form of matrices, and is not used for joins or query   Josh> criteria beyond a simple
"where"clause.

Indeed, my first attempt to use arrays was to maintain some basic
statistics about a set of data.  The array elements where to be
distribution moments and would only be used in "where" clauses.  The
problem was that I wanted to be about to update the statistics using
triggers whenever the main data was updated.  The inability to access
a specific array element in PL/pgSQL code made this so painful I ended
up just extending a table with more columns.

roland
--            PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD
roland@rlenter.com                     76-15 113th Street, Apt 3B
roland@astrofoto.org                       Forest Hills, NY 11375