Re: Extension Packaging - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: Extension Packaging
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> Okay, how we add a "revision" key to the control file and extrevision to
>> the pg_extension catalog. Its type can be "TEXT" and is optional for use
>> by extensions.
>
> How would pg_extension.extrevision be kept up to date?  AFAICS, the
> whole point is that you might swap out the shared libraries without
> doing anything at the SQL level.

Well, ALTER EXTENSION UPDATE could be taught to check for control file
changes only when there's no upgrade script.  I think it already did
that for some fields, like require and comment, but it's no longer the
case.

Still, I would think that it should be possible to update some metadata
of the extension without running an SQL upgrade script.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine