Re: Review: Extra Daemons / bgworker - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: Review: Extra Daemons / bgworker
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> One of the uses for bgworkers that don't have shmem connection is to
>> have them use libpq connections instead.  I don't really see the point
>> of forcing everyone to use backend connections when libpq connections
>> are enough.  In particular, they are easier to port from existing code;
>> and they make it easier to share code with systems that still have to
>> support older PG versions.

Exactly, I think most bgworker would just use libpq if that's available,
using a backend's infrastructure is not that good a fit here. I mean,
connect from your worker to a database using libpq and call a backend's
function (provided by the same extension I guess) in there.

That's how I think pgqd would get integrated into the worker
infrastructure, right?

> They also can get away with a lot more crazy stuff without corrupting
> the database. You better know something about what youre doing before
> doing something with direct shared memory access.

And there's a whole lot you can already do just with a C coded stored
procedure already.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine