Re: [WAY OT] Re: PL/java? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gunnar Rønning
Subject Re: [WAY OT] Re: PL/java?
Date
List pgsql-general
* "Alex Knight" <knight@phunc.com> wrote:

| IMHO, scalability is incredibly important, and perl leaves that out often.
| Even with Fast-CGI style servers, perl sucks. Perl is great for admin
| interfaces, or low to medium traffic sites.

We got a contract last december with a customer that were having some
performance problems with a perl web application. The customer has
access to the best perl programmers money can buy, but they could not
fix the performance problem.

We came in to make version 2.0 of the system. In one month we had an
implementation in Java that outperformed the perl application by a factor
of 10. The customer could stop the leasing of three of the Sun E450 servers
they were previously using to run the perl application.

We've had similar experiences in other projects. Every migration
we've done from Perl->Java has resulted in massive savings.

--
Gunnar Rønning - gunnar@polygnosis.com
Senior Consultant, Polygnosis AS, http://www.polygnosis.com/