Re: Differentiating different Open Source databases - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: Differentiating different Open Source databases
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Hi,

Rob Wultsch <wultsch@gmail.com> writes:
> "only get so far with... MySQL", so, yeah, about that... You are wrong.

I mainly agree with most of what you said there, but let me refocus a
little the context of my comment, because it somehow went out all the
wrong way.

My angle is that of application architecture.  What part of the business
logic do you want your database to handle for you, ensuring your
constraints and a good concurrency pattern?  How is that choice going to
limit your ability to scale (up, out) ?

With Oracle you are pretty quickly limited to the licensing model, with
MySQL by the features available (example: you may have either
transaction safety *or* full text search).  In both cases if you have a
demanding environment you will fix the problem in the application code
rather than using features the "database product" of your choice is
providing.

PostgreSQL offers a breakthrough here because you get a huge set of
business logic development oriented features and scaling is not limited
by the licence costs.  That was my point, only very poorly made.  I hope
it get out better this time.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine