Re: Finer Extension dependencies - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: Finer Extension dependencies
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Excerpts from Dimitri Fontaine's message of vie mar 23 11:05:37 -0300 2012:
>
>>   =# \d pg_extension_feature
>>   Table "pg_catalog.pg_extension_feature"
>>      Column   | Type | Modifiers
>>   ------------+------+-----------
>>    extoid     | oid  | not null
>>    extfeature | name | not null
>>       "pg_extension_feature_name_index" UNIQUE, btree (extfeature)
>>       "pg_extension_feature_oid_index" UNIQUE, btree (oid)
>>       "pg_extension_feature_extoid_name_index" btree (extoid, extfeature)
>>
>> We could maybe get rid of the (extoid, extfeature) index which is only
>> used to get sorted output in list_extension_features() function, but I
>> don't know how to do an ORDER BY scan without index in C (yet).
>>
>> The ordering is then used to maintain pg_depend when the list of
>> provided features changes at upgrade time. We fetch the ordered list of
>> “old” feature names then for each newly provided feature name we
>> bsearch() the old list, which then needs to be properly ordered.
>
> Hm, couldn't it be done simply with a qsort()?  Presumably there aren't
> many feature entries to sort ...

Mmmm… Then we would need an index on extoid to be able to list features
of a given extension, and that would be the only usage of such an index.
I guess that having it include the feature's name is not so expensive as
to try avoiding it and qsort() in the code rather than scan the index in
order?

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine