Re: in-catalog Extension Scripts and Control parameters (templates?) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: in-catalog Extension Scripts and Control parameters (templates?)
Date
Re: in-catalog Extension Scripts and Control parameters (templates?)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Please find attached v3 of the Extension Templates patch, with full
pg_dump support thanks to having merged default_full_version, appended
with some regression tests now that it's possible.

The patch also implements ALTER RENAME and OWNER facilities for those
new templates objects.

Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri@2ndQuadrant.fr> writes:
> Now, back to Extension Templates: the pg_dump output from the attached
> patch is not smart enough to cope with an extension that has been
> upgraded, it will only install the *default* version of it.

That's been fixed by merging in the default_full_version patch.

> There are two ways that I see about addressing that point:
>
>   - implement default_full_version support for CREATE EXTENSION and have
>     it working both in the case of file based installation and template
>     based installation, then pg_dump work is really straightforward;
>
>     CREATE EXTENSION pair VERSION '1.2'; -- will install 1.0 then update

And that just works at pg_restore time, automatically, without pg_dump
having to know anything about how.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine