OID from insert has extra letter - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From darcy@druid.net (D'Arcy J.M. Cain)
Subject OID from insert has extra letter
Date
List pgsql-hackers
This is very odd.  I have a database app failing sometimes with an error
when I try to get back my inserted row.  I do this to get all the fields
that were adjusted for defaults, triggers and rules.  On an insert query
I expect to get the OID of the just inserted tuple.  Once in a while I
get the wrong value.  Here are two examples.

Get: 31930584, should be 3193058
Get: 31943386, should be 3194338

As you can see, there is an extra digit added.  I am using PQoidStatus()
to get the OID.  Is this the right way?  Is it possible that there is
a buffer/terminating problem in the insert code?  I assume that most
people are not examining this value so it may be that something slipped
through.  Anyone else ever seen this?