Re: unique row identifier data type exhausted . . . - Mailing list pgsql-general

From wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: unique row identifier data type exhausted . . .
Date
List pgsql-general
> > Is this necessarily a good solution? If you use 64-bit OIDs, some joker
> > will just hook up a several-terra-byte disk array to his machine, try to
> > store the location of every molecule in the universe and break it.
>
> That's not going to work anyway. To store information about a molecule you
> need at least one such molecule to hold that state, barring major
> revolutions in storage technology. :-)

    Maybe one or two quarks are enough to represent a single bit.
    Then you can break this barrier and store the  data,  because
    most molecules consists of more quarks.

    But  that's an incomplete approach again, because if we could
    store the position of each quark and all other occurences  of
    energy (along with it's actual direction and speed), we could
    add rules and/or triggers and end up with a complete UNIVERSE
    simulator in Postgres.

    Can  someone  ask  IBM (Interstellar Business Machines Corp.)
    what database they used in our UNIVERSE? Must be  running  in
    our  parent  universe,  so  the  real  question  is:  "can we
    determine the universe nesting level we actually live in?"

Jan