Re: [HACKERS] 7.0 status request - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: [HACKERS] 7.0 status request
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > Here are the major open issues for 7.0 that I remember:
> > >         Foreign Keys   - Jan
> > >         WAL            - Vadim
> > >         Function args  - Tom
> > >         System indcxes - Bruce
> > > Outer joins and new multi-query parse tree are questionable items for
> > > 7.0.
> >
> > You might include "join syntax", which will be ready even if outer
> > joins are not.
> >
> > Also, didn't some folks express concern that indices on system tables
> > would make the backend more fragile? Did we resolve that issue?
>
> We have indexes on most system tables and it isn't a problem currently.

    It  is, because a corrupted index on a system table cannot be
    corrected by drop/create, as a user defined index could be.

    I don't know why and when  reindexdb  disappeared,  but  that
    script  was  a  last  resort  for  exactly the situation of a
    corrupted  system  index.   Let  me  take  a  look  if   this
    functionality could easily be recreated.

Jan