Re: [HACKERS] psql & regress tests - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: [HACKERS] psql & regress tests
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck) writes:
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >> Now that we know numeric is working, can we make the test run faster in
> >> the default mode?
>
> >     It is already down to 100 digits after the decimal point.   I
> >     don't  want  to  lower  it  too  much, but maybe 30 or 50 are
> >     enough too - no?
>
> Since multiply and so on are presumably O(N^2), cutting the precision
> to 30 might cut the runtime by almost a factor of 10.
>
> Jan probably has a better idea than the rest of us whether a test of
> 100, or 30, or 10 digits is likely to expose bugs that would not be
> exposed by a test with less precision --- that depends on whether the

    I  created  a new default numeric test using numbers of range
    10,10 as input only. It doesn't save that much of time as you
    expect, but you're right anyways.

    Will  commit  it  later,  together with the new parallel test
    suite.

    BTW: The parallel problems  I  encountered  aren't  anything.
    Starting  the postmaster with -D... isn't the same as setting
    PGDATA environment - as it IMHO should be. It happened that I
    killed  the test-install postmaster, started with -D pointing
    into my temp dirs, with SIGKILL.  It corrupted the pg_control
    file of my default installation :-}

    And  if  you do not have an initialized data directory at the
    compiled in default location, postmaster doesn't startup with
    -D at all.

    Vadim, could you take a look at it?

Jan