Re: [SQL] Can't create an index on NUMERIC(x,y) - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: [SQL] Can't create an index on NUMERIC(x,y)
Date
List pgsql-sql
> ftc=> create index z_test on z(a);
> ERROR:  Can't find a default operator class for type 1700.
>
> As you can see above when I try to create an index on a NUMERIC it can't
> find the default operator for type xxx, is there a way to fix this?  It
> hasn't worked since numerics were revised in (6.0?)...
>
> Any advise would be very appreciated, please cc: secret@kearneydev.com
> not just the list :)

    This is a known problem and is fixed in the v7.0 tree.

    Unfortunately,  there is no easy way to fix it in versions up
    to v6.5.x.  Normally some INSERT's to system  catalogs  could
    enable   it,   but   in   this  case  the  required  function
    numeric_cmp() is  missing  (also  implemented  in  v7.0)  and
    adding this would require an initdb run.

    Sorry,

Jan