Re: [HACKERS] LZ compressing data type - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: [HACKERS] LZ compressing data type
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> > Hi,
> >
> >     I just committed some changes that require an initdb.
> >
> >     New  are  the  discussed,  simple  LZ compressor, placed into
> >     /utils/adt/pg_compress.c, and a new lztext data type based on
> >     it.   You'll  find  a  fairly  detailed  description  of  the
> >     compression  algorithm  in  the  comments  at  the   top   of
> >     pg_lzcompress.c.
>
> One question.
>
> You say this is an LZ algorythm. Is this the same as LZW, as in the
> same kind that gifs use. If so, are we sure that this algorythm is not
> covered by the Unisys patent? Their patent is on the algorythm for
> compression not on gifs themselves.
>
> If it is, you are liable for a $5,000 fee to use it throughout your
> site, or a per-licence fee if you are distributing (thay are worked out
> on a per case basis but typical licences are $5 per unit sold from what
> I am told).

    It't  an  SLZ  algorithm, not LZW. There are FLZ and LZ77 out
    too (and I don't know how many other subtypes). At least,  LZ
    is  a  family  of  compression algorithms where LZW is just a
    member of them.

    I've written the entire code  from  scatch,  inspired  by  an
    article  from  Adisak  Pochanayon dated back in 1993. If they
    have a license on this algorithm, they have one on code  that
    can   be   coded  from  scatch  in  20  hours  after  reading
    information that's  claimed  to  be  free  on  the  internet,
    congrats.

    This  is  M$ practice, I never thought that there's more than
    one company out doing this kind of business.

    But thanks for the info.

Jan