Re: [HACKERS] ERROR: infinite recursion in proc_exit - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: [HACKERS] ERROR: infinite recursion in proc_exit
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> Kristofer Munn <kmunn@munn.com> writes:
> > [PostgreSQL 6.5.2 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc egcs-2.91.66]
>
> But that's not very relevant to your real problem, which is that
> there must be something corrupted in pg_attribute's indexes.
>
> > What are the ramifications of continuing with the corrupted indexes -
> > undefined behavior?
>
> I wouldn't recommend it.
>
> > Filesystems have fsck to fix stuff - are there any
> > tools on the docket to reconstruct the indexes or other recoverable
> > things?
>
> I've thought for some time that vacuum ought to just rebuild the indexes
> from scratch.  That'd provide a recovery path for this sort of problem,
> and I suspect it'd actually be faster than what vacuum does now.  I'm
> not volunteering to make it happen, though.

    I  don't  know if you could drop/rebuild an index on a system
    catalog while the database is online.

    But there was sometimes a utility called reindexdb. That used
    the  bootstrap  processing  mode  interface of the backend to
    drop and recreate all system catalog indices.  I  don't  know
    who removed that and why, neither do I know if it would still
    be  possible  to  drop  and  reindex  through  the  bootstrap
    interface.

    Does someone remember why it's gone?

Jan