Re: [SQL] Good Optimization - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: [SQL] Good Optimization
Date
List pgsql-sql
Patrik Kudo wrote:

> Jan Wieck wrote:
> >
> >     This time the "a.x = b.x" is important!
>
> Ouch... didn't think that far. However, if an cache is implemented
> it might be worth the extra overhead to optimize special cases like
> the one I commented on. Since most systems use a fairly limited set
> of queries (I suppose...) most of the queries will be cached quite
> fast.

    Exactly  the  fact  that  most  system  use  a limited set of
    queries made me think that a shared query->plan  cache,  that
    in  the best of all worlds isn't lost on backend termination,
    is worth the efford. And it would lower the  need  of  client
    side prepared execution plans as discussed sometimes.

Jan