Re: [HACKERS] Some progress on INSERT/SELECT/GROUP BY bugs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Some progress on INSERT/SELECT/GROUP BY bugs
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> > I still am unclear which of these are valid SQL:
> >
> >  select a as b from test order by a
> >  select a as b from test order by b
> >
> Both are valid, and don't forget the third variant:
>
> > select a as b from test order by 1
> >
> Andreas

    I  wonder  why  this  should be valid. Consider the following
    test case:

        CREATE TABLE t1 (a int4, b int4);
        SELECT a AS b, b AS a FROM t1 GROUP BY a, b;

    Is that now GROUP BY 1,2 or BY 2,1? Without the grouping,  it
    is a totally valid statement because the column DISPLAY-names
    given with AS don't affect the rest of it.

Jan