Re: [HACKERS] backend dies suddenly after a lot of error messages - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: [HACKERS] backend dies suddenly after a lot of error messages
Date
Re: [HACKERS] backend dies suddenly after a lot of error messages  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers

> Mirko Kaffka <mirko@interface-business.de> writes:
> > We have problems with backend processes that close the channel because of
> > palloc() failures. When an INSERT statement fails, the backend reports an
> > error (e.g. `Cannot insert a duplicate key into a unique index') and
> > allocates a few bytes more memory. The next SQL statement that fails
> > causes the backend to allocate more memory again, etc. until we have no
> > more virtual memory left. Is this a bug?
>
> Yeah, I'd say so --- all the memory used should get freed at transaction
> end, but evidently it isn't happening.
>
> > We are using postgres 6.4.2 on FreeBSD 2.2.8.
>
> I still see it with 6.5-current sources.  Will take a look.

    I  remember  to  have  taken  some  but haven't found all the
    places.  I think there's still something in  tcop  where  the
    querytree list is malloc()'d.

Jan