Re: [HACKERS] create view as select distinct (fwd) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: [HACKERS] create view as select distinct (fwd)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Oleg Broytmann wrote:

> Hello!
>
>    VIEW on 6.4.2 ignores DISTINCT. Is it a bug? known?

    It's  a known missing feature (not a bug - more like a design
    fault).

    DISTINCT is implemented as a unique sort step taken over  the
    final  result of a query. Views are implemented via the query
    rewrite rule system. If now someone would define  a  DISTINCT
    view and selects a join of it with another table, the rewrite
    system cannot tell the planner that only the scan's resulting
    from  the  view  should be sorted unique.  It could only tell
    that the entire result should be DISTINCT - what's wrong - so
    I left it out.

    I'm  planning  to  implement some kind of subquery rangetable
    entries someday. At that time, all these problems  (DISTINCT,
    GROUP BY, ORDER BY) of views will disappear.

Jan