SUM() and GROUP BY - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From D'Arcy" "J.M." Cain
Subject SUM() and GROUP BY
Date
List pgsql-hackers
[Sorry if this sent twice.  I never saw my copy the first time.]

Does this seem right?

druid=> SELECT COUNT(*) FROM acctrans;
count
-----   0
(1 row)

druid=> SELECT client_id, SUM(tramount) FROM acctrans GROUP BY client_id;
client_id|sum
---------+---        |
(1 row)

If there are no rows in the table then shouldn't the result be no rows
when GROUP BY is used?  Further, What about this?

druid=> SELECT SUM(tramount) FROM acctrans;
sum
---
(1 row)

Shouldn't that be 0.00?

What will the NUMERIC or DECIMAL types do in these situations?  It
looks like INTEGER has the same behaviour as MONEY (which tramount is.)