Re: [HACKERS] Release 6.4 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Release 6.4
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> On Sat, 29 Aug 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > As far as I am concerned, we are ready to go.
>
>    I've already started up the nightly snapshots for
> debugging...anyone else has any "new features" they want to slide in
> before the BETA freeze, they have until tomorrow (Monday)...after that,
> its purely a bug fix period.
>
>    First v6.4beta1 to be put out on Friday, final release to be put
> out on October 1st...
>
> Marc G. Fournier

    Back from a training this week.

    I had really trouble on the attempt to fix more things in the
    rewrite system. Thus I decided to give a new rewrite  handler
    a try and up to now I got the view rewrite stuff working (can
    handle most cases of RIR rules  including  aggregate  columns
    that   are   rewritten  into  subselects  when  used  in  the
    qualification). Must now adapt the insert/update/delete stuff
    into it.

    What's the target for 6.4 release?

    Another question on aggregate columns:

    I can define a view

        CREATE VIEW v1 AS SELECT x.a, x.b, count(y.a)
            FROM t1 x, t2 y WHERE x.a = y.a GROUP BY x.a, x.b;

    But  it's  impossible  to  omit the group by and another side
    effect is that it would never return any row where count(y.a)
    would be zero.

    Is that the correct behaviour? What does standard say?

    The  zero  counting  rows could also show up and the group by
    clause can be optional if we create a new type of  func  node
    that  contains  a  parsetree  instead  of  a reference to the
    pg_proc entry.  The rewrite handler could build  them  and  I
    know   how.  And  it  would  enhance  the  view  capabilities
    extremely since using that technique  a  qualification  could
    compare  two  aggregate  columns  of  a  view.  This is still
    missing in the new rewrite handler because the planner cannot
    handle sublinks with an aggregate in the lefthand.

    Can  we  agree  that  this is still bug fixing instead of new
    feature?  How much time would I have to make it working?

Jan