Re: [HACKERS] Rules: first fix on monday - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Rules: first fix on monday
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> > We could add another column to "pg_rewrite" which contained the
> > source for the rule. This could be used by pg_dump to dump the
> > rule creation statement, or by the user to see what the rule
> > actually does.
> >
> > [...]
>
> Adding a column will take away from the already-tight space needed
> to keep the plan.
>
> [...]
>
> darrenk

    The  limited space for the querytrees and event qualification
    is really a problem, that we should fix.  And  since  we  now
    really  support multiple action rewrite rules, it will become
    more important.

    I  had  something  different  in  mind  to  make  the   space
    unlimited.   I could add an Oid field to pg_rewrite, pointing
    to an extension record.

    If a rule does not fit into one tuple, it  is  splitted  into
    multiple  ones  in  rewriteDefine.c. All the extension tuples
    have the event realtion set to the invalid Oid value  to  not
    get fired everywhere.

    I don't think that reading some extension records is too much
    overhead compared against the rewrite work and  the  actions,
    those MONSTER-rules will result in.

    Comments?

Jan