Re: AW: [HACKERS] Begin statement again - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: AW: [HACKERS] Begin statement again
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Vadim wrote:

> Jan Wieck wrote:
> >
> > Andreas wrote:
> > >
> > > I think we should depreciate the BEGIN/END keywords in SQL to allow them
> > > to be used for the new PL/SQL. So definitely leave them out of ecpg now.
> > > Only accept BEGIN WORK and BEGIN TRANSACTION. (do a sequence of commit work; begin work)
> > > BTW.: why is a transaction always open ? A lot of programs would never need a
> > > transaction. Is it because of cursors ?
> >
> >     BEGIN/END  in  PL/SQL and PL/pgSQL doesn't mean transactions!
> >     It's just to group statements to a block. You  cannot  commit
> >     something inside a PostgreSQL function. All changes made by a
> >     function are covered by the  statements  transaction  or  the
> >     upper transaction block.
>
> This will be changed - there is a way to implement nested transaction!
> And so, some day we will need in something to start/end transaction
> block inside functions.

    What exactly is planned for this?

    Will  it be possible to begin/commit a subtransaction so that
    updates done before and after it could still get rolled  back
    while things inside remain persistent?

    Or would it be possible to commit up to now and resume (maybe
    a new transaction)?

    What would the syntax be for these statements,  or  must  the
    function/trigger call special functions in the backend on the
    C level?

Jan