Re: [HACKERS] permission issue - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: [HACKERS] permission issue
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Vadim wrote:

> Tables INS (x int) and SEL (y int) are owned by dbadm, for another
> user SELECT granted on SEL, INSERT - on INS.
>
> Should another user be able to do
>
> insert into ins select y from sel where x = y;
>
> or not ?
> Currently, PG allows this. Backend tries to check
> (in execMain.c:ExecCheckPerms()) is READ access to
> table being changed granted to user or not, but this check
> seems to be quite stupid:
>
>             qvars = pull_varnos(parseTree->qual);
>             tvars = pull_varnos((Node *) parseTree->targetList);
>             if (intMember(resultRelation, qvars) ||
>                 intMember(resultRelation, tvars))
>
> : pull_varnos is very simple and just skips expressions in
> qual & target list.
>
> We have to either get rid of this check or change it.
>
> What do you think ?
> How "big boys" handle this ?
>
> Vadim

    As  I  wrote  we  must change more on the permission checking
    than currently done. I plan to implement  something  like  an
    effective  user  which is used instead of the current user in
    the checks and switch the effective user on function calls to
    the  owner  of  the  function  (triggers  are  implemented as
    functions and thus also covered). And we need that  effective
    user  too  for the checks in views instead of what we did now
    with skipAcl in the RTE.

    I'll keep the above words in mind when doing  so.  But  first
    let's release 6.3.

Jan